VisitScotland’s business events team sells Scotland’s business events experiences, offering impartial advice to event organisers.
Principal functions include:
- Represents Scotland at international trade shows like IMEX, EIBTM and Confex with or without industry partners.
- Ambassador Programme: work in partnership with regions (e.g. Stirling, St Andrews, Inverness, Aviemore) their universities and CCBs to maximise the benefits of University Ambassador Programmes including bid support and joint events.
- Provision of Marketing Platforms to support the sector e.g. website and publications, sales missions, fam trips and other face to face engagement with pre-qualified buyers. Also to test and review new marketing platforms for the sector within Scotland e.g. PCMA, Trailblazers.
- National Marketing Programmes: creation and implementation of national strategy plans for Association, Corporate and Governmental conferences, Incentives, Exhibitions and other meeting products aligning with the destination plans where appropriate.
- Promote and maximise the opportunities presented by the NBF to stimulate not-for-profit conferences, including business extenders. Encourage agreement from Local Authorities to provide the match funding. Conferences eligible for consideration are annual, not-for-profit association conferences, which rotate around the UK, Europe or globally.
Cities or destinations in Scotland must be in a competitive bid situation with destinations outside of Scotland.
Pre-conditional match-funding by the local authority or Destination Management Organisation (DMO) is required with any application to the fund.
Inaugural conferences can be considered for Year 1 only, conditional on there being an international delegate mix. The application must come via the Local Authority or DMO with match-funding already in place.
Successful applications which go on to secure the conference in question are subject to reciprocal acknowledgements including PR, logos, joint announcements and sales initiatives with the delegates to encourage pre and post conference extenders.
Not eligible: Conferences moving around within Scotland, Corporate conferences and/or incentives, new conferences in Year 2 and beyond. For further details on the Bid Fund contact Neil Brownlee or Kerry Watson
and research such as Britain for Events and MPI UK Economic Impact Survey
- Work with Government to advise and advocate on behalf of the business tourism sector on issues such as Air Passenger Duty, visas and VAT reduction to improve competitiveness, Improved access and connectivity, Infrastructure development.
Business tourism operators are also eligible for many VisitScotland initiatives such as VisitScotland Growth Fund for collaborative marketing campaigns, Thistle Awards and Focus Years.